Saturday 30 August 2008

Unit Testing

Last week I was working on a project where the unit testing had been done by the developers. Trust me that is rare not only had they done this fairly completely in a tracable manner but they had records of it all. Suffice to say that I was very impressed.

Time being short we gave our testing estimates and it clearly wouldnt meet the deployment dates so we brazenly said for this to be tested it will need to be delayed... did they delay it ... no they took the risk to put the software in anyway. Further they also declaired that user acceptance testing was not required.

I being a pain took it upon myself to smoke test it. Within the first 30 minutes of trying to run the software it was clear it wouldnt even run in the environment. Funny thing is when it finally was working we found a unit test defect.

Guess my point with this is back to basics really.. a developer shouldnt test there own software and independant testers will uncover far more defects with a system as they are looking for problems not just checking it works.

No comments: